The Side as a Main: Cheesy Garlic Green Beans
Welcome to our first edition of Vital Ital!
We will be showcasing delicious, easy vegan and gluten-free recipes created by our amateur vegan chef, J. Mitchell!
Are you someone who is transitioning into the vegan lifestyle but have no idea where to start? Are you already vegan and hate cooking? Well you’re in the right place because we’re going to show you the world’s easiest vegan/gf recipe!
First you’ll need 5-6 baby potatoes (I like to mix Yukon gold with red-skinned). Wash them, then cut them into small pieces. Next, take a ripe plantain, peel it and cut it into thick slices. Place both ingredients into a baking pan or air-fryer basket.
Once you’ve neatly laid the potatoes and plantain in the basket, drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil (or any oil of your choice). Then sprinkle 1 tsp of lemon pepper all over the potatoes. You may also use an additional seasoning of your choice. I chose Club House Montreal Chicken seasoning. You don’t have to season the plantain if you don’t want to.
Place the ingredients in an oven or air fryer. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until they are crispy and brown.
Onto the “main”! Grab 1 cup of green beans and wash them thoroughly. Then cut the ends and place them onto a baking pan.
Scoop 1 tbsp of vegan butter. Add 1 clove of chopped garlic and 1/2 tsp of your favorite seasoning to the butter. Mix it well and spread on the beans.
Now for the fun part! Add your favourite vegan/gf cheese! I chose mozzarella shreds because it has a light flavour.
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F and let the beans bake for 15-20 minutes. Scoop the plantain, potatoes and cheesy beans into a plate and enjoy!
This meal is perfect for up to 2 people and it won’t break your budget!
Try this recipe and tell us what you think in the comments below! Feel free to share!
5-6 baby potatoes
1-2 ripe plantain
1-2 cups green beans
1 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp seasoning of your choice
1/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (or any vegan cheese of your choice)
2 tbsp olive oil (or any cooking oil of your choice)
1-2 tbsp vegan butter
1 clove garlic
1-2 vegan/gf dinner roll (optional)
ketchup or bbq sauce (optional)
1. Wash baby potatoes and green beans thoroughly. Cut potatoes into large slices and place them in a baking pan or air fryer basket.
2. Cut plantain into large slices and place them in the pan alongside the potatoes.
3. Drizzle oil all over potatoes and plantain. Then add lemon pepper and additional seasoning.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place pan in oven and cook for 20-25 mins or until brown.
5. Cut the ends of the green beans and place them into a baking pan. Smooth butter over beans and add chopped garlic. Season with lemon pepper and any other seasoning of your choice. Then add cheese.
6. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place green beans in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Scoop plantain, potatoes and green beans onto a plate and serve.
Dinner is ready! Let’s eat!
Saturated Fat: 11.3g